Now that I’m back at university after the Christmas break and starting the second term I’m reminded of the incredible number of different systems (and log ins) I have to use. There is one system per main function yet they are in completely different places. I give you: ‘The University of Aberdeen Portal System!’.
- First up is the main student portal, it’s the one you get from the search: ‘Aberdeen student portal’. Despite being the easiest to find and described as the main one it is used the least. It’s capable of showing you your exam timetable, exam results and advisory meetings - that’s all. Here you log in with a Student ID, Username and Password.
- MyAberdeen is what should be the main one. It contains the majority of our learning materials and is where we get some of our coursework grades. It’s kept reasonably up to date but is not directly accessible from a Google search and so is harder to find. It’s also the place for end of unit tests and coursework submissions. For submissions it’s all good but the buggy blackboard software used for tests really lets it down. Here you only need a Username and Password to log in.
- The second most important place is where your time table is, it’s called 'My Courses’. It’s impossible to find on a Google search and is located at: /mycourses.php - you can bookmark it or type that in each time. It’s where you sign up for practical and tutorial sessions and view your weekly time table. Some other course work marks are given here. You need a Username and Password to log in.
- The library system is also separate. Amazingly used for accessing papers and books. A Username and Password and DoB are needed to log in.
- There is also a separate system from the library system for distributing past papers. You must again use a Username and Password to Log in.
- Student Email is the final one. I almost forgot it thanks to the wonders of IMAP. It again is totally separate and is accessed with the email address and a different password.
That’s all the systems that are needed for studying, there are some extra ones associated with payments and accommodation.
- eAccommodation is used to view your contract and invoices for your accommodation. It’s where you report faults and sign things related to all things bed. It however is not the same place where you pay for the room, ohh no that would make just too much sense. You need a Student ID, (different) Password and DoB (is a different format) to log in here.
- ePayments the final system I have to use requires a Student ID, Password and DoB to log in. It’s relatively simple after that though to make payments.
Now, I’m wondering if it might be simpler to have one log in combination and one portal for all of that - would it be so hard?