This is again a suggested feature for mobile phones. It’s not likely to save the same number of lives as yesterdays but it would be a nice feature all the same.
The background: phones get notifications. Lots of them, messages, interactions, emails and so on. Lots of these, namely emails and interactions you get while on your computer too.
The problem: you are ‘over-notified’ of updates whilst at your computer.
The fix? Implement a mode called: ‘Proximity Ignore’.
This feature would be user controllable but also have the option of 'sensing’ you were at your computer. This might be done by:
- Setting a Wifi network that was where you use your computer
- Noticing that you weren’t moving with GPS
- Noticing that the phone wasn’t been used to check the time.
- Setting 'Computer Use’ hours in settings
- 'Spotting’ your laptop on Bluetooth
This would mean an end to the annoying 'over-notification’ problem and the endless flashing LED’s that follow.