- I’ve continued to ‘build’ my linux-environment project this week and have added/achieved the following notable features:
- Screen sharing using pipewire!
In Firefox it wasn’t working as I hadn’t set
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP. In Chromium I needed to enable
chrome://flags/#enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer. Zoom is still relying on a GNOME hack involving screenshots, but Zoom web seems to work ok via Chromium.
- Configured a base16-backed synchronized day/night mode. I have a button that toggles the setting of the theme for nvim and Alacritty using their hot reload & remote control features.
- As mentioned last week, I added a long script to sync secrets between machines and instances using the Bitwarden CLI. It’s not that swish, but it does the job better than my current lack of a system.
- I also start sway in the recommended way, using systemd-cat so that I get all the logs in journalctl for the desktop environment. I also moved mako to run as a user service in systemd.
- Connected my bluetooth headphones with almost no issue. I’m planning to use the new machine for work this week so that I can send off my laptop for repair - its keys are falling off.
- Screen sharing using pipewire! In Firefox it wasn’t working as I hadn’t set
- I went for my first Autumn swim at the Lido and had to get out in 20 minutes from the cold on my head. I have since purchased an insulated swim cap but the weather’s been so dreadful I’ve not been keen to even leave the house, let alone swim outside…
- At work I’ve been frustrated with more frontend work but enjoyed helping setup a much needed company all hands event. I also got a new 4k monitor (U2720Q), pictured below.