Week Notes: 12
Posted Nov 15 2020
- I seem to be getting worse at writing my week notes. The last lockdown had me doing lots of projects, this one is darker and more boring.
- I’ve been working on the outline for a process by which we make decisions about our processes and policies at work. It’s a challenge and uncharted territory for me as well an interesting parallel to a technical design I’m working on. When I was an intern someone told me there are no hard technical problems.
- On Monday I had a dev-day to investigate CUE. I was keen to check out the language as an alternative to OPA’s Rego for checking constraints on a graph of JSON objects. The verdict for my use case was that it’s not really there yet. I found that the type imports for k8s objects were hard to reuse since my loaded JSON of the same types wasn’t loaded into a compatible format and CUE didn’t let me selectively overwrite parts. I also found that some of the type pattern matching features weren’t really working yet. It seems interesting, but I’d say more comparable to Jsonnet than Rego.
- I took this photo Finsbury Park today though - it’s not all dark. I went to meet a friend for a run and got caught in a rather biblical downpour. The more polished version of this moment is here. I left this one here since you can see the rain drops.
- This week has been quite game heavy, Warzone, Deep Rock Galactic, Codenames, Zwift?! and… Among Us again. I’m ever so slowly teaching myself to blatantly lie to my friends. Even taking a note of my fake tasks to regurgitate in the emergency meetings!
- I need to get back to watching The Crown.