Week 20: Norfolk
February 5, 2023
- I was in Norfolk this weekend, only slightly delayed by rail strikes. I went to see a production of H.M.S. Pinafore and visited Ely Cathedral.
- I fixed a bug in the OPA docs (which I introduced) in part with CSS
position: sticky. It allows the fixing of an element within its parent, rather than relative to the viewport.
- I went to the London Cloud Native meet-up. I'm hoping to attend regularly to find some OPA users to chat to!
- This week I've confirmed dates to visit British Columbia, somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Having only ever been hiking in Scotland and the Lake District before, I'm learning all that I can about bears...
- I enjoyed Tuesday in town working from a co-working space with an ex-colleague and eating lunch and dinner out. I also enjoyed being one of those 'cafe laptop people' (for once) on Friday.
- It turns out it's easier to copy photos from a 10 year old iPad to a Windows PC than 2022 Macbook Pro. On Mac, the iPad is invisible as an external storage device and doesn't show in Photos or Image Capture as the documentation states. On Windows, it works like a USB drive and the photos can be copied right away.
- I have been working on a side project to free my data from Strava. I still plan to use Strava, but more as a proxy where I can fetch my data from and present it in other ways.
- I have been thinking it's time to try out: Nix Flakes, Rust+WASM & age+sops for local secret management.